Thursday, July 26, 2012

All That Is Gold Does Not Glitter

And so it ends: the steady march westward, through dappled forest light and unyielding wheatfields, over rocky mountains and under graffitied highways, all the way to a crumbling cathedral and the sea. 

I'm leaving the rest of the group in Paris, where they will have heaps of exciting adventures and eat an unabashed number of quiches, crepes, and chocolate croissants.  Live long and prosper, my friends.

As for me, I'm off to the home front, where my mother is on track for a full recovery from brain surgery and my father is martyring himself to get everything done and my little sister is as snarky and way cooler than I am as ever.  (Hi family!!!!!!!) I'll be updating this blog over the next week with more Let's Go posts, so please keep checking back for more tidbits of insight into my trip.

I want to thank you, kindly readers, for your comments and your messages, but also for the incredible gift of your attention in a harried world. I hope I have shared with you not only moments of exhiliration, but also what one pilgrim described as the "
"reservoir of calm" that emerges on this journey, the unexpected yet inevitable understanding that regardless of where you are in time or place or belief, there exists within you a space of breath and awareness, of gratitude, a patient blue sea at the edge of the world just waiting for you to loosen your toes' grip on the rocks and lean forward and let yourself go.

Buen camino.


1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to see you, hear about your adventures in person and see your photos.

    ReplyDelete