Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Meet Meredith

And James and Adelaide and Arlo.  That's right, I've named my gear.

Meredith, serene and blue, is my outdoorsy surrogate mother backpack. She's calm and prepared in every crisis, a little overbearing but always comforting.

James is the name of my twin-souled hiking poles.  Paternal, strong, he provides stability for overcoming obstacles and absorbs the shock of difficult realities.  Like mountains.

Arlo and Adelaide, my hiking boots, are James and Meredith's children.  Petulant teenagers, often angsty and painful to be around, they can strangely provide support when I need it most.

And there you have it: The backstops in my moments of hopelessness and exhaustion, ever-stalwart, always ready for whatever I'm about to put them through. I've never felt so much admiration for inanimate objects!


No comments:

Post a Comment